The total of registered foreign residents in Japan dropped about 56,000 to 2.079 million as of Dec. 31, marking the third straight annual decline, Immigration Bureau data show.
Overseas nationals in the three prefectures worst affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake — Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima — fell by an average of 14.3 percent, the bureau said Friday.
Go here to read the rest: Foreign residents decline a third year, by 56,000
A spherical buoy found on the coast of Middleton Island in the Gulf of Alaska after apparently being swept away in the March 2011 tsunami was one of several used for the sign of a restaurant in Minamisanriku, Miyagi Prefecture, 5,000 km away.
The buoy was found by David Baxter, 51, in late February when he was walking along a beach.
Read the rest here: Eatery’s buoy washes up in Alaska
About 60 percent of districts in 32 municipalities hit by last year’s monster tsunami hope to collectively relocate residents from the disaster zones, the land ministry said Tuesday.
Of 208 districts in the 32 Pacific coastal municipalities, collective relocation is planned for 127, according to the ministry’s survey of reconstruction plans for the municipalities in Iwate, Miyagi, Fukushima and Ibaraki prefectures.
Excerpt from: Tsunami-hit areas eye collective move
Tokyo restaurants have started giving their patrons a chance to support Tohoku reconstruction by serving up traditional food and drink from the region and buying produce from farmers and fishermen there.
An “izakaya” pub in the Ginza district, which used to specialize in traditional Akita Prefecture dishes, reopened in January as a nonprofit eatery based on the cuisine of badly hit Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures.
Continue reading here: Tokyo eateries lend Tohoku a hand
Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda send out written requests to municipalities nationwide Friday to join in the disposal of the millions of tons of debris generated by last year’s devastating earthquake and tsunami in the Tohoku region.
Noda is seeking cooperation from municipalities outside the three disaster-stricken prefectures of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima to accept and incinerate some of the debris to speed up reconstruction.
Read the original here: Noda issues debris-disposal plea
Weathernews Inc. has started a new service that provides tsunami information online using radars that can detect the waves within 30 km of the coast and capture images of them as fast as 15 minutes before they reach shore.
The radars are located at nine sites along the coastlines of Aomori, Iwate, Miyagi, Fukushima and Ibaraki prefectures, which were devastated by last March’s monster waves, Weathernews spokesman Hitoki Ito said Tuesday.
Read more from the original source: Real-time online tsunami feed starts
The number of deaths officially recognized as related to the twin disasters but coming after March 11 has reached 1,331 in five prefectures, exceeding the 921 recorded after the Great Hanshin Earthquake in January 1995.
According to a survey by Kyodo News, 621 of the deaths were in Fukushima, 554 in Miyagi, 133 in Iwate, 22 in Ibaraki and one in Saitama.
Read more: Illness, suicides drive up disaster-linked toll
Only 5 percent of the debris generated by the devastating earthquake and tsunami last March has been incinerated or otherwise disposed of, Environment Minister Goshi Hosono said Tuesday, calling for local government support nationwide to help with the massive cleanup task.
With 22.53 million tons of waste estimated to have been generated in Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, the Environment Ministry wants local governments outside the three prefectures to accept some of the waste on condition that its radiation level is confirmed safe.
Original post: Just 5% of Tohoku disaster debris disposed of